Implementing green budgeting in Belgium. What does it mean?
Thursday 21 December 2023 | 9:30 – 14:00 | KBR Belgium’s National Library, Mont des Arts/Kunstberg 28, 1000 Brussels
CONTEXT AND OBJECTIVE
The Belgian authorities’ budgets are the main instruments through which they can achieve climate and environmental objectives. In this sense, they represent the clearest indicator of their intention to implement such a political ambition. Green budgeting means using the tools of budgetary policymaking to help achieve these objectives.
In 2021, civil servants from different Belgian authorities received EU-funded training to familiarize them with this instrument. However, Belgium is one of the few Member States that has not yet started using green budgeting.
The FRDO-CFDD is preparing an opinion on this subject for the Belgian Federal Government.
After attending the seminar, you will have an in-depth view of the implications of the use / non-use of this instrument by budgetary authorities in Belgium. In particular, you will receive up to date information on:
- The concrete steps to be taken with a view to the eventual implementation of an advanced green budgeting framework in Belgium;
- The implications of green budgeting for budget governance (including institutional aspects);
- The political preconditions for effective green budgeting (e.g. a financing plan for the transition based on an estimate of needs);
- Existing instruments already in use in Belgium on which green budgeting can be based (e.g. green bonds, green public procurement);
- How green budgeting is already implemented in other EU Member States (e.g. in France, and in Austria)
Two of Europe’s leading experts on green budgeting will be available to answer your questions on the subject:
- Ms. Simona POJAR (European Commission, Directorate-General for Economic and Financial Affairs, Brussels);
- Ms. Chloé BOUTRON (Institute for Climate Economics, Paris, and University of British Columbia)
Ms. Kerstin HAIDER (Ministry of Finance, DG Budget and Public Finance, Vienna) will present the implementation of green budgeting in Austria.
Representatives of the Belgian competent Federal Ministers and experts from the Belgian Federal administration have also been invited and will soon confirm their participation.
The seminar will be chaired by Prof. Brent BLEYS (University of Ghent), Chair of the FRDO-CFDD Transition Financing Working Group.
PREPARING FOR THE SEMINAR
We recommend that you read the following two papers:
- Environmental Assessments within Green Budgeting
- Greener, better, stronger: Factors for the successful implementation of green budgeting in EU Member States
PRACTICAL INFORMATION FOR THE SEMINAR OF 21 DECEMBER
- This seminar will take place in person, in Brussels, in the Panorama room of the KBR Belgium’s National Library on Tuesday 21 December, from 09:30 to 14:00.
- The seminar will be held in English.
- A lunch will be offered at 12:30.
- Participation is free, but you are required to register in advance via this link
- It will not be possible to follow the seminar online. The powerpoint presentations will be published on the FRDO-CFDD website.
- Please feel free to distribute this invitation or share it on social networks: Facebook event.